Rates Down, Applications Up by Ron Schulz

   

For the week of MAY 20, 2019

 

 

YOUR WEEKLY SMILE

 
  What kind of stories do rabbits prefer? Ones with hoppy endings!  

 

   

NATIONAL MARKET UPDATE

 
   

National average mortgage rates dipped again, so it was no surprise the Mortgage Bankers Association reported a 5% increase in the unadjusted Purchase Index of applications for the week and versus a year ago.

Our 84 million Millennials are the largest U.S. generational group ever, and next year their biggest segment turns 30, the prime age for first home buying. Hey, 79% of Millennials say home ownership is still the hallmark of the American dream.

At the other end of the demographics, the 55+ housing market sees a surge in Baby Boomers buying retirement nests. The National Association of Home Builders reports builder confidence in this segment hit a record high in Q1.

 

 

   

REVIEW OF LAST WEEK

 
   

TRADERS TRADED TRADE ANGST FOR TRADE OPTIMISM… Just as trade dominates this headline, it dominated Wall Street’s mindset. For four days, worries about tariff increases on Friday dampened investor enthusiasm.

But when Friday came, positive comments from both sides, plus the President’s tweet that talks were “constructive,” rallied stocks for the day, though the S&P 500 and the Nasdaq saw their worst weekly losses of the year. 

Consumer prices overall and core prices (excluding food and energy) rose less than expected. Both the Atlanta and New York Fed presidents said rates may be cut on concerns over low inflation and/or any economic effects from the tariffs.

The week ended with the Dow down 2.1%, to 25942; the S&P 500 down 2.2%, to 2881; and the Nasdaq down 3.0%, to 7917.

Bond prices went higher on trade worries, then finished flat with Friday’s optimism. The 30YR FNMA 4.0% bond ended unchanged, at $102.66. The national average 30-year fixed mortgage rate fell again in Freddie Mac’s Primary Mortgage Market Survey. Remember, mortgage rates can be extremely volatile, so check with your mortgage professional for up-to-the-minute information.

DID YOU KNOW?… A new study says up to 41% of homebuyers are considering accommodating a family member from another generation, such as a senior parent or adult child. In 1980 only 12% of us lived in multigenerational households.

 

 

   

THIS WEEK’S FORECAST

 
   

HOMEBUILDERS BUILDING, RETAILERS SELLING… Expect to see an uptick in homebuilder activity when we get April Housing Starts and Building Permits numbers on Thursday. April Retail Sales should also be up, though at a slightly slower pace than March.

NOTE: Weaker economic data tends to send bond prices up and interest rates down, while positive data points to lower bond prices and higher loan rates.

 

 

   

FEDERAL RESERVE WATCH

 
   

Forecasting Federal Reserve policy changes in coming months… The Fed Funds Futures market feels rates will hold for now, though we could have a rate cut in the fall. Note: In the lower chart, a 10% probability of change is a 90% probability the rate will stay the same.

Current Fed Funds Rate: 2.25%-2.50%

AFTER FOMC MEETING ON: CONSENSUS
Jun 19 2.25%-2.50%
Jul 31 2.25%-2.50%
Sep 18 2.25%-2.50%

 

Probability of change from current policy:

AFTER FOMC MEETING ON: CONSENSUS
Jun 19    10%
Jul 31    19%
Sep 18    38%

 

 

 

   

BUSINESS TIP OF THE WEEK

 
  Visualize yourself five, ten, and 20 years from now. Then write down the daily, monthly, and yearly goals you’ll need to reach in order to get where you want to go.    

 

  Ron Schulz
Senior Loan Officer
NMLS# 266128

6060 North Central Exp #438
Dallas, TX 75206

Office: 214-346-5279
Mobile: 214-794-4014
[email protected]
www.ronschulz.com

 

   

 

 

   

This post is an advertisement for Ron Schulz. The material provided is for informational and educational purposes only and should not be construed as investment and/or mortgage advice, or a commitment to lend. Although the material is deemed to be accurate and reliable, there is no guarantee of its accuracy. The material contained in this message is the property of Supreme Lending and cannot be reproduced for any use without prior written consent. This message is intended for business professionals only and is not intended for distribution to consumers or other third parties. The material does not represent the opinion of Supreme Lending. ADVERTISEMENT. Offer not contingent on use of specific settlement service provider. ADVERTISEMENT. EVERETT FINANCIAL, INC. D/B/A SUPREME LENDING NMLS ID #2129 (www.nmlsconsumeraccess.org) 14801 Quorum Dr., #300, Dallas, TX 75254. 877-350-5225. Copyright © 2019. Not an offer or agreement. Information, rates, & programs are subject to change without prior notice. Not available in all states. Subject to credit & property approval. Not affiliated with any government agency. Supreme Lending is required to disclose the following license information: AZ Mortgage Banker License 0925918. Licensed by the Department of Business Oversight under the CA Residential Mortgage Lending Act License 4130655. CO Mortgage Company – Regulated by the Division of Real Estate. Delaware Lender License 10885. GA Mortgage Lender License 22114– Georgia Residential Mortgage Licensee. IL Residential Mortgage License MB.6760323-DBA1– Illinois Residential Mortgage Licensee. MA Mortgage Broker License MC2129. MA Mortgage Lender License MC2129. Licensed by the N.J. Department of Banking and Insurance – New Jersey Residential Mortgage Lender License. Licensed Mortgage Banker-NYS Department of Financial Service. NY Mortgage Banker License B501049. Ohio Mortgage Broker Act Certificate of Registration MB.804158.000. Ohio Mortgage Loan Act Certificate of Registration SM.501888.000. OR Mortgage Lending License ML-4265. Licensed Mortgage Banker by the PA Department of Banking – Pennsylvania Mortgage Lender License 45048. Rhode Island Licensed Lender 20142998LL.

 

 

 

Leave a Reply