Existing Home Sales Bounce Back by Ron Schulz

 

 

Brought to you by Ron Schulz

 

 

   

For the week of january 27, 2020

 

 

QUOTE OF THE WEEK

 
  “Strive for progress, not perfection.”–Anonymous  

 

   

NATIONAL MARKET UPDATE

 
   

After slumping in November, Existing Home Sales [em.mediacenternow.com] rebounded in December, up 3.6% for the month, jumping decisively over the 5.5 million unit annual rate threshold, 10.8% higher than a year ago.

Putting the brakes on sales are low inventories in many areas. But builders are responding, with units under construction rising to post-recession highs. As folks go for the new builds, more existing homes become available.

Plus, price growth keeps slowing. The FHFA [em.mediacenternow.com] index of prices for homes bought with conforming mortgages rose just 0.2% in November. Prices are now up 4.9% the past year, versus a 6.0% gain the year before.

 

 

   

REVIEW OF LAST WEEK

 
   

BULLS TAKE A BREATHER… Stocks have put on a strong performance since the start of the year, but the bulls rested during the holiday shortened week, as investors took profits, nudging all three major indexes down.

Fears roiled around the coronavirus outbreak in China, which could also infect travel and trade, trimming global economic growth. As a result, oil prices saw their worst drop in a year, anticipating lower fuel demand. 

The coronavirus story isn’t over yet, but past viral outbreaks in the world have not significantly hurt economies or markets. Positive investor sentiment emerged as two thirds of corporate earnings reports so far have beaten estimates.

The week ended with the Dow down 1.2%, to 28,990; the S&P 500 down 1.0%, to 3,295; and the Nasdaq down 0.8%, to 9,315.

Viral outbreak concerns made the bond market healthy. The 30YR FNMA 4.0% bond ended UP .08, to $104.33. In Freddie Mac’s Primary Mortgage Market Survey, the national average 30-year fixed mortgage hit its lowest level in three months. Remember, mortgage rates can be extremely volatile, so check with your mortgage professional for up-to-the-minute information.

DID YOU KNOW?… For 2019, 5.341 million existing homes were sold, precisely matching 2018. But sales are nearly fully recovered from their 2018 dip, and analysts expect them to hit new post-recession highs heading into 2020.

 

 

   

THIS WEEK’S FORECAST

 
   

HOME SALES UP, CONSUMERS HEALTHY, GDP AND RATES HOLD… This week’s slew of economic data should report New and Pending Home Sales on the rise, and Personal Income and Spending showing consumers in good shape. Economists forecast Q4 GDP still around 2% and inflation in check, making the FOMC Rate Decision a non-event at the Fed.

NOTE: Weaker economic data tends to send bond prices up and interest rates down, while positive data points to lower bond prices and higher loan rates.

 

 

   

FEDERAL RESERVE WATCH

 
   

Forecasting Federal Reserve policy changes in coming months… The Fed meets this week, but the Fed Funds Futures market is betting nothing will change with rates. Note: In the lower chart, a 13% probability of change is an 87% probability the rate will stay the same.

Current Fed Funds Rate: 1.50%-1.75%

AFTER FOMC MEETING ON: CONSENSUS
Jan 29 1.50%-1.75%
Mar 18 1.50%-1.75%
Apr 29 1.50%-1.75%

 

Probability of change from current policy:

AFTER FOMC MEETING ON: CONSENSUS
Jan 29    13%
Mar 18     19%
Apr 29     28%

 

 

 

   

BUSINESS TIP OF THE WEEK

 
  Look beyond traditional methods for creative ways to streamline your business and make it grow. Thinking outside the box about operations and lead generation can give you a real edge on the competition!  

 

  Ron Schulz
Senior Loan Officer
NMLS# 266128

5612 Richmond Ave
Dallas, TX 75206

Office: 214-346-5279
Mobile: 214-794-4014
ron.schulz@supremelending.com
www.ronschulz.com [em.mediacenternow.com]

 

   

 

[em.mediacenternow.com]

 

  This post is an advertisement for Ron Schulz. The material provided is for informational and educational purposes only and should not be construed as investment and/or mortgage advice, or a commitment to lend. Although the material is deemed to be accurate and reliable, there is no guarantee of its accuracy. The material contained in this message is the property of Supreme Lending and cannot be reproduced for any use without prior written consent. This message is intended for business professionals only and is not intended for distribution to consumers or other third parties. The material does not represent the opinion of Supreme Lending. ADVERTISEMENT. Offer not contingent on use of specific settlement service provider. ADVERTISEMENT. EVERETT FINANCIAL, INC. D/B/A SUPREME LENDING NMLS ID #2129 (www.nmlsconsumeraccess.org) 14801 Quorum Dr., #300, Dallas, TX 75254. 877-350-5225. Copyright © 2020. Not an offer or agreement. Information, rates, & programs are subject to change without prior notice. Not available in all states. Subject to credit & property approval. Not affiliated with any government agency. Supreme Lending is required to disclose the following license information: AZ Mortgage Banker License 0925918. Licensed by the Department of Business Oversight under the CA Residential Mortgage Lending Act License 4130655. CO Mortgage Company – Regulated by the Division of Real Estate. Delaware Lender License 10885. GA Mortgage Lender License 22114– Georgia Residential Mortgage Licensee. IL Residential Mortgage License MB.6760323-DBA1– Illinois Residential Mortgage Licensee. MA Mortgage Broker License MC2129. MA Mortgage Lender License MC2129. Licensed by the N.J. Department of Banking and Insurance – New Jersey Residential Mortgage Lender License. Licensed Mortgage Banker-NYS Department of Financial Service. NY Mortgage Banker License B501049. Ohio Mortgage Broker Act Certificate of Registration MB.804158.000. Ohio Mortgage Loan Act Certificate of Registration SM.501888.000. OR Mortgage Lending License ML-4265. Licensed Mortgage Banker by the PA Department of Banking – Pennsylvania Mortgage Lender License 45048. Rhode Island Licensed Lender 20142998LL.

 

 

 

Leave a Reply