Equifax incident; markets fairly flat by Ron Schulz

>> Market Update

QUOTATION OF THE WEEK…“Do. Or do not. There is no try.”Yoda, Star Wars character created by American filmmaker George Lucas

INFO THAT HITS US WHERE WE LIVE… Last Thursday, major credit bureau Equifax revealed it was the victim of a “cybersecurity incident” that could impact up to 143 million consumers. They claim the breach involved data on a U.S. website application and not their core credit reporting databases. The company said it will send direct mail notices to everyone whose data was breached and that consumers can also check at equifaxsecurity2017.comSecurity experts advise people affected to freeze their accounts immediately at all three credit bureaus–Equifax, Experian and TransUnion–and sign up for fraud protection services such as LifeLock, EZShield and Identity Guard.

Thanks to rising home prices and tight supply in many markets, Fannie Mae’s latest Home Purchase Sentiment Index reported more respondents think now is a good time to sell than a good time to buy. But the share of those who said mortgage rates will go down went up to 45%! Low rates certainly are helping, as mortgage originations went up 37% in Q2, and the Mortgage Bankers Association reported purchase applications up 1% for the week ending September 1Finally, the head of the Small Business Administration said that her agency is set to give out $3.3 billion in Hurricane Harvey disaster loans to uninsured homeowners and businesses. Excellent.

BUSINESS TIP OF THE WEEK… What makes you unique? Think about it. Ask others who’ve worked with you. When you determine what your special value is, focus on that to build your business.

>> Review of Last Week

LESS APPETITE FOR RISK… The health of the stock market depends on investor willingness to take on the greater risk involved. In the holiday-shortened week, Wall Street’s appetite for risk was trimmed by too many worries, from Hurricane Harvey to Hurricane Irma, to continued geopolitical concerns about North Korea. The result? The three major market indexes headed down for the week, though not by that much. The S&P 500 in fact ended just 0.8% below its all-time high, so this wasn’t considered a turnaround from the positive market sentiment we’ve seen since the election. What little economic news we had was pretty good anyway.

The President and House and Senate leaders engineered a budget agreement that offers an extension of the government’s funding and debt ceiling, as well as federal money for hurricane relief. The ISM Services index rose to 55.3 in August, well above the 50 level signaling expansion in the sector of the economy that provides the vast majority of our jobs. Even July’s Trade Balance came in at a smaller than expected $43.7 billion deficit. In the past year, exports are up 4.9%, almost matching the growth of imports, up 5.1%. And a deeper look into August employment data revealed 30,000 new construction jobs, a considerable and much-needed boost.

The week ended with the Dow down 0.9%, to 21798; the S&P 500 down 0.6%, to 2461; and the Nasdaq down 1.2%, to 6360.

Wall Street’s aversion to risk played nicely into the safe haven of bonds. The 30YR FNMA 4.0% bond we watch finished the week UP .20, to $105.75. Freddie Mac’s Primary Mortgage Market Survey for the week ending September 7 reported national average 30-year fixed mortgage rates fell to a new year-to-date low for the third week in a row. Remember, mortgage rates can be extremely volatile, so check with your mortgage professional for up-to-the-minute information.

DID YOU KNOW?… The number of discouraged workers–people who aren’t looking for work because they do not believe jobs are available for them–has dropped to just 448,000, down 128,000 from last year.

>> This Week’s Forecast

INFLATION, RETAIL SALES BOTH GROW The forecast is for inflation to pick up a bit more, with the Consumer Price Index (CPI) and Core CPI both rising in August after falling in July. The Fed is looking for growth here, so we’ll watch this closely. Retail Sales are expected to continue expanding nicely, especially when you take out volatile monthly vehicle sales in the Retail Sales ex-auto reading.

>> The Week’s Economic Indicator Calendar

Weaker than expected economic data tends to send bond prices up and interest rates down, while positive data points to lower bond prices and rising loan rates.

Economic Calendar for the Week of Sep 11 – Sep 15

Date Time (ET) Release For Consensus Prior Impact
W
Sep 13
08:30 Producer Price Index Aug 0.3% -0.1% Moderate
W
Sep 13
08:30 Core PPI Aug 0.2% -0.1% Moderate
W
Sep 13
10:30 Crude Inventories 09/09 NA 4.6M Moderate
Th
Sep 14
08:30 Initial Unemployment Claims 09/09 310K 298K Moderate
Th
Sep 14
08:30 Continuing Unemployment Claims 09/02 NA 1.940M Moderate
Th
Sep 14
08:30 Consumer Price Index (CPI) Aug 0.3% 0.1% HIGH
Th
Sep 14
08:30 Core CPI Aug 0.2% 0.1% HIGH
F
Sep 15
08:30 Retail Sales Aug 0.1% 0.6% HIGH
F
Sep 15
08:30 Retail Sales ex-auto Aug 0.5% 0.5% HIGH
F
Sep 15
08:30 NY Empire Manufacturing Index Sep 20.0 25.2 Moderate
F
Sep 15
09:15 Industrial Production Aug 0.2% 0.2% Moderate
F
Sep 15
09:15 Capacity Utilization Aug 76.8% 76.7% Moderate
F
Sep 15
10:00 Business Inventories Jul 0.2% 0.5% Moderate
F
Sep 15
10:00 U. of Michigan Consumer Sentiment Sep 95.5 96.8 Moderate

>> Federal Reserve Watch

Forecasting Federal Reserve policy changes in coming months…The financial market now expects the Fed to keep rates where they are well into 2018. We’ll see. Note: In the lower chart, a 1% probability of change is a 99% certainty the rate will stay the same.

Current Fed Funds Rate: 1.0%-1.25%

After FOMC meeting on: Consensus
Sep 20 1.0%-1.25%
Nov 1 1.0%-1.25%
Dec 13 1.0%-1.25%

Probability of change from current policy:

After FOMC meeting on: Consensus
Sep 20   1%
Nov 1   3%
Dec 13 38%

 

 

Ron Schulz
Senior Loan Officer
NMLS# 266128
13140 Coit Rd # 502
Dallas, TX 75240
Office: 214-346-5279
Mobile: 214-794-4014
Fax: 972-284-0715
ron.schulz@supremelending.com
www.ronschulz.com

 

This post is an advertisement for Ron Schulz. The material provided is for informational and educational purposes only and should not be construed as investment and/or mortgage advice, or a commitment to lend. Although the material is deemed to be accurate and reliable, there is no guarantee of its accuracy. The material contained in this message is the property of Supreme Lending and cannot be reproduced for any use without prior written consent. This message is intended for business professionals only and is not intended for distribution to consumers or other third parties. The material does not represent the opinion of Supreme Lending. EVERETT FINANCIAL, INC. D/B/A SUPREME LENDING NMLS ID #2129 (www.nmlsconsumeraccess.org) 14801 Quorum Dr., #300, Dallas, TX 75254. 877-350-5225. Copyright © 2017. This is not an offer to enter into an agreement. Information, rates, & programs are subject to change without prior notice and may not be available in all states. All products are subject to credit & property approval. Supreme Lending is not affiliated with any government agency. Supreme Lending is required to disclose the following license information: AZ Mortgage Banker License 0925918, AZ Principal Office: 25030 S 190th Street, Queen Creek, AZ 85142. Licensed by the Department of Business Oversight under the CA Residential Mortgage Lending Act License 4130655. CO Mortgage Company – Regulated by the Division of Real Estate. GA Mortgage Lender License 22114– Georgia Residential Mortgage Licensee. IL Residential Mortgage License MB.6760323-DBA1– Illinois Residential Mortgage Licensee. NV Division of Mortgage Lending Mortgage Banker License 4063. Licensed by the N.J. Department of Banking and Insurance – New Jersey Residential Mortgage Lender License. Licensed Mortgage Banker-NYS Department of Financial Service. NY Mortgage Banker License B501049. OR Mortgage Lending License ML-4265. Licensed Mortgage Banker by the PA Department of Banking – Pennsylvania Mortgage Lender License 45048. Rhode Island Licensed Lender 20142998LL. TX – SML Mortgage Banker Registration – Residential Mortgage Loan Originator. Massachusetts Mortgage Broker License MC2129. Massachusetts Mortgage Lender License MC2129.

Leave a Reply